Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing # 13 Social Bookmarking

This opens up a whole new area of efficiency and organization for me-- and a convenient time-saver. Bookmarks can really pile up on me and be a problem when different computers are used in the library. For those bookmarks I used with students, lessons, or units I usually added to my library web page so everyone could access them. I tried using "I Keep Bookmarks" previously to help with the bookmark storage problem, but didn't get it going well enough to suit my needs. This seems similar except it adds so many more invaluable features-- the tags to organize and search, being able to share with others, and being able to see what others are finding on the topics you need. The part I like best is the popular and suggested tags-- that helps me keep things a bit more uniform and saves a ton of time in thinking and typing. I already added the bookmarks that I had on my laptop at home, and will start on the others at school when we return -- it will feel just like cleaning out and organizing a messy closet-- and you know how librarians like everything organized and easy to find. I can't wait to clean up the clutter and see what others are finding for school use and home!

No comments: