Saturday, October 3, 2009

Thing # 2 Image Generators















Wordle is so fun, quick, and easy-- I can see so many applications for even the youngest students. Create them as a class, group, or individually to describe attributes of a character, biographical person, place, concept, animal, or just about any topic of study. Details from a story could put into a wordle, showing the emphasis by size of the most important to the smallest details. I am going to use it to make some gifts for volunteers-- using words that descbribe them. As a team building activity, students could do an "about me" wordle at the beginning of school and print it out on a paper or label as an activity to get to know other students.
Wordle and Wordshift would be fun to do with the same words, and compare how they are the same and different--someone suggested pairing students to do this.

Bookr is the easiest for teachers and kids that I have ever seen --and has so many applications for even the little kids. I wish they did have more picture choices or let us upload our own photos. But that may be part of what makes it so easy to use. The class can make a book on the activeboard together-- introducing or reviewing a unit of study. Or individuals or groups can make books for any unit of study or interest. I will definitely use this one a lot to allow students to quickly record their research and knowledge. Students will have fun and learn from reading the books from each other. I will post the insect book I will make with 1st graders next week. I can't wait to try this one with kids.

Glogster was fun to play with-- it took a little time to learn all of the possibilities-- but I think students would navigate it faster than I originally did. I loved the fact that you could add text and pictures like a regular poster, but really make it more fun and interactive by adding animated objects and even vidoes or sound. Here is just a little example of some of my play in designing a base for a report on MLK-- one that kids have traditionally done in regular poster fashion at my school. I am definitely going to push this one for intermediate students-- especially those who have already experienced trading cards and magazine covers-- this will be a step up that can include more creativity and information-- and fun. It's a good way to include those students who enjoy computer and those who enjoy the art and design type of project-- this has it all. http://sbelibrary.edu.glogster.com/MLK/

I have done quite a few animotos in the past, but hadn't explored much with the new and improved features using video and adding exteded text. So I revisited it to play a bit. I have also checked into getting the subscription for educators so we can make longer free videos. This will be really fun and easy for students to use when we get our new flip cameras. (I had trouble getting their "embed in blog" button to work, so I just used the email feature-- I will explore that further later)

http://animoto.com/play/PKgMxiElgvk4HrytD1BVwg?




Get a Voki now!

1 comment:

John said...

check out my blog!