Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thing # 10 Virtual Worlds

I checked out a few of the suggested virtual worlds for younger kids for entertainment, and they looked fun-- letting kids make stationery and play games. My son has been playing games for years using virtual worlds, and sometimes even being able to create his own maps and add to the world he originally purchased-- therefore adding a whole new dimension and expansion to the original. I think that is the attraction for older kids and even adults-- a chance to create and make an ever-changing and evolving game or place. I have played quite a bit this past week with Second Life--and have met the most polite and helpful "people". I have finally gotten out of my "newbie" clothes and have a full wardrobe of jeans, shirts, and hair. Just what you need to pack for travel--what's best is the price-- FREE. I got them on Black Bear Island, visited Statue of Liberty, the African plains, and Iste Island where I met up with Mary--where she gave me a bunch of landmarks to try for elementary kids. There is supposed to be one for younger kids that is like a nursery tale or fairy tale place that I need to get. I tried to teleport to Mount Rushmore but it was not working-- maybe it was closed for the holidays! I can see how this may be used for younger students with a teacher to lead them through it as part of a lesson to discover and explore. I expect that virtual worlds will continue to expand not just for entertainment, but also for informative and commercial applications that can be tapped into for educational purposes and classroom use-- like virtual field trips, trainings, and tours. I still need a lot more exploration with Second Life before I will be able to navigate easily.

No comments: