Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thing #11 Digital Citizenship

Since our new state requirement, TEKS, and I-Safe materials have come this fall, I feel like I had a heads up on Digital Citizenship. I have already taught a 2 part lesson with all of Kg - 5th using the flipcharts and Brain Pop videos. I used the picture book "Arthur's Computer Disaster for KG and 1st for one of the lessons to start a discussion on when, where, and how computers should be used at home and school. I still have one more 3rd followup lesson to do with 4th and 5th dealing more with online safety using the activeoard flips. After teaching these lessons to elementary students, I was surprised at the amount of discussion and valuable information that was included that our students really did need. I feel this series was not only beneficial to them, but helped me to know their internet use and needs better.
I liked the visual of Digital Citizenship from the suggested readings that had a block with "Stutdents" in the middle, and blocks of Literacy, Safety, Ettiquette, and Learning Strategies surrounding. That seems to include it all-- using the internet appropriately, safely, and effectively.
I also liked the lesson idea from David Warlick where he takes students to Google and through the whole process of search, looking through the search results, demonstrating all of the things to consider and the decision-making process to cull out what is valuable, and then model verifying authority.

1 comment:

Hayley and John Fraser-Mackenzie said...

Hi there, would love to have a look at the brain pop video and activeboard flipcharts you used. Please could you direct me? Thanks
jandhfm