Saturday, November 14, 2009

Thing # 6 iTouch Apps

I know this is going to be one of the most popular tools coming to our library-- our students will surely want more! Put them in an egg chair with an itouch, and we may never get them out-- they will not even know all of the learning that hits them. My husband has had an iphone for about a year-- so we have both enjoyed some cool apps for personal use. I borrow his quit a bit-- so I have just about decided that I need one of my own when my next birthday comes around. We have used some free apps and some we paid a nominal fee--I was so surprised how cheap (99 cents) most of them are. I found some free apps for Elementary to form group games or independent browsing or research:
Science (NASA,Stars in the Night sky,Hubble Images)
Math (drill,calculator,coin toss,calendar,numberline,flash cards,dice)
Social Studies (google earth,Birthday in History, Presidents,US Atlas,USA Factbook,Maps of the World, State Capitals, Constitution,)
Language arts and Reading (Bookshelf, Talking Phrasebook, Thesaurus,Pocket Phonics lite,Fairy Tales audio,Spell it Rite,Gutenberg)

Something for everyone-- individual research, brain games, drill (but not kill), Sudoku... I hope all of the librarians will have time to get together to explore more apps and share ideas for using them with classes and independent free times.

These are great to use for class curriculaum support, but I am also going to explore a lot of these with a new afterschool group that I will start in January. These will also be great to use with PGP groups and as a motivation for AR reading.

No comments: