Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing # 16 Wikis

I had set up a practice wiki in the past at a workshop, and found it easy to do. I plan to revisit it and revive it, or just make a new one. I think I will start out using wikis with the staff at school first, to help me see problems, troubleshoot, and get used to using it easily again. I can see applications for combining grade level calendars, dates to reserve the library, planning units, sharing information and editing documents, and teacher/librarian collaboration without the usual million emails back and forth--skipping all of the problematic miscommunications and omisions that usually occur.
Student uses I can see are of course book reviews, class notes collaboration, gathering information for research in groups--really anything where multiple people need to "work together" efficiently and online. My son and his friends could have used a wiki when studying together and completing study guides this past year.
I especially enjoyed the wiki listing the different student blogs--I think I was a Library Lounge Lizard myself when I was in school. I also revisited the SBISD technology troubleshooting wiki since I am sure I will need to refer to it for help rather soon. On to # 17!

No comments: