Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thing #18 Open Source

I started downloading Open Office and it took a really long time. So I have "shelved it" to look at more thoroughly later when I have more time. I looked through Google docs, and of course , free is a big advantage. I liked the fact that you can save to the desktop, edit anywhere, pick who you want to have access, share changes and work in real time, and store it online. It looks like they have recently added more features and I liked the templates-- so I'm sure it will just grow more and more in time. I especially liked the school calendar feature-- I can see using that in the library all through the year. It may not have all of the bells, whistles , and options of an application you would pay a lot of money for, but for many who just need the basic collaborative aspect or templates --I think having access to Google docs will be of real use to them.

No comments: