Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thing #6

I loved all of the additional tools in this thing. I can see quite a few of them that could be used to quickly spice up any research project or provide a visual that could go with a more indepth report-- or just give the quick facts if that is all that is needed. I loved the trading cards for research facts, or "about me" activities at the beginning of the year. The trading cards, mosaic, magazine covers, or cube could be used for really any topic. I wonder if there is a way to leave blank spots in the mosaic or cube to insert or write text/info. Mappr would be great for state or country reports with post card type info, or book covers inserted for stories from different countries. I also liked the movie poster idea for a book review/report or an extension for an original piece of student writing. I liked the calendar idea for me to use for library events and schedules, and the photo badge for "about me", student-made desk/cubby nametags, post with student work on bulletin board, etc. There is a lot to try out-- the possibilities are endless-- and the best part is they are so easy and quick to use with students--and FREE!
TRADING CARD: I just planted one of the pipe vine plants at my home this year. I discovered about 20 of these pipevine swallowtail caterpillars on it this week. I am eagerly awaiting some of these beautiful butterflies flying around in my garden. Butterflies have amazing instincts -- the black swallowtails found the 4 small parsley plants and the one pipevine plant in my back yard on which to lay their eggs!

1 comment:

VWB said...

One of the ways we have discovered to add a little text to some of these things is to go to PPT ... create a text box there and maybe even put a colored background box behind it...group...and then save as an "image" (jpg)...upload it just like a picture into the various generators.
Can't really be a lot of text...keywords or short title...have to play with it a bit sometimes because the words ca nget cut off...sometimes making the background larger helps with that problem.